Sam,

there is a whole cottage industry out there to collect email addresses thru
screen scraping
and other methods, then sell a CD with about a million verified addresses to
the spammers.
If a message is accepted by the smtp server and delivered to you it is
verified, even if it
ends up in your junk folder. I use hMailServer on my hosting service and it
allows me to
block a single ip number or a range. This will then look to the spammer like
it is not a valid
email address anymore and eventually (hopefully?) disappear from their list.
If I see blocks of four (typical) ip numbers in a neighborhood I look at the
domain registration,
doesn't take a genius to spot the spammers, I then block the whole C subnet
if there are no valid
domains in it.
BTW, in the process of analyzing all the spam I found that there are some
BIG service providers
that seem to sell hosting to spammers knowingly (it's money). If you contact
their abuse with concrete
examples they will respond with "We have an anti-spam policy".
Surprisingly most of them are in the US; if you are interested I can extract
and send you this list.

Walter