On Wed, Nov 14, 2012 at 10:39:58PM +0200, Ed Kelly wrote:
> I had a sailor who was a live aboard for a long term in the MED tell me that
> he
> bought two supposedly tired 8D's and used them over a winter and rehabilitated
> the batteries.

I had two people, both whose judgement and integrity I respect [1], give
me high recommendations for them as well. In fact, one of them was
getting a lot of dead UPS batteries as a part of his business, rehabbing
them, and using them for his solar-based energy system. He had around an
80% recovery rate, and a large enough sample size to be meaningful.

[1] Both sailors, too, now that I think about it.

> Ed on Angel Louise (in South East
> Turkey at Marmaris, where Admiral Lord Nelson spent the winter of 1798 with
> the
> Brittish fleet waiting to do in the French at the Battle of the Nile the
> following year.)

Gosh, d'you suppose his secret weapon was battery desulfators? It all
makes sense now! He had OBVIOUSLY, with devilish cleverness and
foresight, spent the winter desulfating his batteries and getting his
electric systems into shape - and the French, who were unable to power
their running lights or even use their VHFs long enough to file a
protest about those little "accidental" collisions with the race
committee, never stood a chance. :)

(You just watch. They'll be teaching this version in public school next
year.)

Ben
--
                       OKOPNIK CONSULTING
        Custom Computing Solutions For Your Business