On 22/08/13 07:45, Antony Bailey wrote:

On 22 Aug 2013 01:05, "Sebastian Arcus" <s...@open-t.co.uk
<mailto:s...@open-t.co.uk>> wrote:

 > On 21/08/13 19:18, Antony Bailey wrote:
 >>
 >> Sounds good.
 >>
 >> I'm thinking that I will talk about public / private key cryptography
 >> which covers PGP, DRM and Bitcoin.
 >>
 >> I'll do disc encryption. So true crypt vs others.
 >>
 >> I'll do point to point encrypted phone calls along with examples for
 >> modern phones both mobile and land line. Including PBX for home.
 >>
 >> Obviously all the encryption you use is just as strong as your will to
 >> keep your data secure. I won't link to the xkcd, but I'm sure you know
 >> the example. So I'll do plausible deniability along with clandestine
 >> intrusion by shall we say nation states.
 >>
 >> Data destruction also. This talk is also known as Guttman thinks 35
 >> passes is just going to kill a drive too. If I had the cash to hand I'd
 >> get some drives of eBay and show you how to see strangers' holiday
snaps.

 > I can provide few spare 3.5" drives - but I'm curious if there will
be anything to find on them after they've been through DBAN?

 > Depends how it was run. Number of passes and entropy. I'll give them
a go if you like.

That would be really interesting. One reads about the need to run DBAN several times - but I often wondered how much of a difference does it make in real life (if an attacker doesn't have access to fancy magnetic field/tunnel type tools, that is).