Hi,
While I've not got experience of these specific models, I do have some experience along the lines of what you are trying to do.
My set up was using a fairly low powered machine running multiple services and devices - and the difficulty I had was effectively I was being over demanding of what the hardware was capable of supporting. Yes there can be additional heat dissipation and IRQ s can be prioritised etc but even so each machine will have an upper limit of what it is able to do.
For example, I think I remember that in theory the specification of USB means it is possible to daisy chain and cascade up to 127 devices from a single port. Assuming it is possible to provide power to them, that single port could then access 127 * 18Tb hard drives. Yes they might be addressed by the machine but I'd hate to imagine how that machine would cope in copying files from one hard drive to another!