> So in summary, it sounds like we agree on the following guidelines:
>
> 1) If you're committing a CL and it is possible to test it through the SB
> API, you should only submit an SB API test, and not a HandleCommand test.

agreed

> 2) If you're committing a CL and it's not possible to test it through the SBI
> API but it does make sense for the SB API, you should extend the SB API at
> the same time as your CL, and then refer back to #1.

agreed

> 3) If it is not possible to test it through the SB API and it does not make
> sense to add it to the SB API from a design perspective, you should consider
> writing a unit test for it in C++.  This applies especially for utility
> classes and data structures.

agreed

> 4) Finally, if none of the above are true, you can write a HandleCommand test.

agreed

> One more question: I mentioned earlier that we should enforce the distinction
> between HandleCommand tests and python api tests at an organizational level.
> In other words, all HandleCommand tests go in lldb/test/command-api, and all
> new SB API tests go in lldb/test/command-api.  Eventually the goal would be
> to only have 3 toplevel directories under lldb/test.  unittests, command-api,
> and python-api.  But this would take some time since it would be on a
> move-as-you-touch basis, rather than all at once.  Does this seem reasonable
> as well?

I really don't care for the "python-api" or "command-api" directories. We
should make tests as needed without needing to place them into specific API or
command line bins. I don't want two directories like:

test/command-api/lang/c/....
test/public-api/lang/c/....

I would rather us just write the tests as needed and do what is right for the
tests. The API/command directories add no value. I am fine with having these
directories when say we are trying to compile against the public API as a test
in itself, but we don't need to go moving or putting tests into these
directories.

Greg