After spending most of the day tracking down the anomalies Taras reported,
I've come to the conclusion that the root problem is that the design of the
current buffer pool allocator makes it impossible to specify the num_bufs
desired with any precision, so the "light" mod I was trying to do just
isn't going to work. In the current API the application passes in a memory
area that it hopes is big enough and the pool create function carves it up
into some unpredictable number of buffers of the specified buf_size.  To
allow the application to specify the number of buffers it wants really
requires a different approach, which is what I was taking with the original
buffer/packet patch.

So I'm going to incorporate the new allocator into this patch but that's
going to take a bit longer. Not sure if I'll be able to get this done
before the weekend given the holiday.  The good news is that this
restructure positions us to add in all sorts of additional features as
needed without requiring significant changes to the basic allocation
structures.

I'd really like to make use of Ola's new atomics for this since they
provide the added benefit of lock-free operation for buffer/packet
allocs/frees.  Hopefully that patch can be merged sometime this week since
the key authors/reviewers are observing a normal work week.

Bill