On 10 December 2014 at 11:58, Bill Fischofer <bill.fischo...@linaro.org>
wrote:

> Rather than having a list of "privileged" code that gets special
> exceptions,

I don't think it is privileged, but as checkpatch docs say, if you have a
good case for ignoring a guideline in a given case - ok

> why not just increase the checkpatch line length limit beyond the
> arbitrary 80-char limit?

We can start that thread again but it went in huge loops last time with no
agreement between large camps on suggestions between 120 or 80 chars

>   We're not coding on punch cards any more.  :)

That was the argument form the 120 crowd :)

> Raising the limit to say 100 chars would eliminate the vast majority of
> these spurious issues.  I know I've had to torture the buffer code in
> several places to comply with this procrustean "standard".

If we get a quorum - why not change it, I have no issue.