Hello,

Now that ODP contains most of the previously missing features I've wanted and
I've learned how to use it, I'm about to take ODP into use in my application. I
installed it to a custom prefix and noticed several interesting things:

1) The bin/ directory contains binaries correctly named with the odp_ prefix.
However, it also contains binaries that don't have the odp_ prefix and have so
common name that there is great danger of them conflicting with other installed
packages in case ODP is installed to /usr/local. For example: chksum, parse,
process, table, thread. Surely, somebody else has thought of those names too
and have decided to use them!

2) Many binaries installed in the bin/ directory seem to be statically linked.
While this means that they can be executed without LD_LIBRARY_PATH environment
variable (or an equivalent solution such as -Wl,-rpath,$PREFIX/lib) in case the
user installed to somewhere else than /usr/local, it also means that the
binaries use more disk space than they should. odp_l2fwd seems to be an
exception: it is dynamically linked (and it is linked with rpath because it
runs without LD_LIBRARY_PATH).

My question is: are (1) and (2) intentional? Should all binaries instead be
named with odp_ prefix and all binaries be dynamically linked? If the binaries
are dynamically linked, should -Wl,-rpath,$PREFIX/lib be used during linking
them to make them run without LD_LIBRARY_PATH?

At least I'm planning to link my custom application dynamically and am planning
to use -Wl,-rpath during linking so that it starts properly if a non-standard
prefix is used for ODP. I don't use autotools, libtool and other such
monstrosities in my software so I have at least the freedom to decide all
arguments given to the linker.

An interesting observation too is that all binaries are installed, including
binaries from the example/ directory. Not sure if this is a good thing or a bad
thing.

Another interesting observation is that libodp.so.107.0.0 is 1.3 megabytes.
Comparison: libc is 1.7 megabytes on my system. Is ODP really that big?