On 10 November 2016 at 12:52, Christophe Milard <
christophe.mil...@linaro.org> wrote:

> Hi,
>
> My hope was that packet segments would all be smaller than one page
> (either normal pages or huge pages) to guarantee physical memory
> continuity which is needed by some drivers (read non vfio drivers for
> PCI).
>
> Francois Ozog's experience (with dpdk)shows that this hope will fail
> in some case: not all platforms support the required huge page size.
> And it would be nice to be able to run even in the absence of huge
> pages.
>
> I am therefore planning to expand drvshm to include a flag requesting
> contiguous physical memory. But sadly, from user space, this is
> nothing we can guarantee... So when this flag is set, the allocator
> will allocate untill physical memory "happens to be continuous".
> This is a bit like the DPDK approach (try & error), which I dislike,
> but there aren't many alternatives from user space. This would be
> triggered only in case huge page allocation failed, or if the
> requested size exceed the HP size.
>
> Last alternative would be to have a kernel module to do this kind of
> allocation, but I guess we don't really want to depend on that...
>
> Any comment?

Would that module be launched from the implementations global init, or be
an independent expectation on some other support lib that existed and it
had installed the module ?
Feels like and external support lib would be reusable by all
implementations and not need re coding.

--
Mike Holmes
Program Manager - Linaro Networking Group