I tried setting the MAC addresses. In my local test, the problem
disappeared, but I doubt that it's been fixed.

On our larger testbed, with OpenVPN tunnels, the bug persists event with
the MAC addresses. But our setup may be problematic, for instance in this
interface chain:

veth0 -|- veth1 <---> l2fwd <---> veth2 -|- veth3

we set the addresses from the endpoints (veth0, veth3), while l2fwd is
attached to middle interfaces (veth1, veth2).

Do you think this is interfering with the network stack? It looks like a
serious bug in the kernel, then...

It seems that we'll have to try netmap.

--
Oriol Arcas