13.04.2017 15:31, Dmitry Eremin-Solenikov wrote:
On 13.04.2017 15:26, Bill Fischofer wrote:
On Thu, Apr 13, 2017 at 6:46 AM, Maxim Uvarov <maxim.uva...@linaro.org> wrote:
I vote for default build will not build with deprecating support.  Yes all
general propose distributives will need to enable --enable-deprecated-api
to support some old software. But developers who work with git should not
work with deprecated api.

The opposite is more likely. Distros can distribute different levels
of ODP and if you want the older version you just keep using the older
version. So --enable-deprecated-api is really for embedded users who
want (some) newer features but haven't (yet) converted older code.

Fine, if you say so. It would be nice to hear a word from distro
maintainers though. IIRC SuSe has ODP packaged. Canonical were working
on that, weren't they?

From my experience enterprise distros have to support some deprecated syscalls inside linux kernel to support some application which were sold as binaries only. I.e. they use old api. I think it does not matter if it's embedded or not. It does matter if customer bought only binaries and he wants to use new version of library for some reason.

Maxim.