Thanks Honnappa.

Following a discussion I heard on a recent arch call, I take the
opportunity to re-state in black on white:

- there are and continue to be SoC specific ODP implementations that
leverage little code from Linux Generic. There has been a request to the
steering committee (initially Cavium but confirmed by NXP) that those SoC
specific implementation are present in a common repository to avoid
perception of being forked projects.

- there is an effort to have a new ODP implementation (odp-cloud), which
targets performance on Arm and x86, intends to leverage directly hardware
(meaning native member SoC packetios or selected PCI NICs). As part of this
effort there is also a modularization effort. Out of the indentified
modules we have: "packet/buffer/pool", "DDF", "individual device drivers"...

These are distinct goals.

There is no intention to shape/mandate the software architecture of SoC
specific implementations through odp-cloud. If it is technically feasible
and valuable for the member, it may decide to "import" modules from
odp-cloud. But that is a member decision. We will do odp-cloud so that
import is the easiest possible, but certainly not push/force implementation
changes.

Cordially,

FF

--
[image: Linaro] <http://www.linaro.org/>
François-Frédéric Ozog | *Director Linaro Networking Group*