On 10/23/17 18:23, Francois Ozog wrote:
> Hi Maxim,
>
> Is this regular memory or DMA capable memory?
>
> This would mean application would know how, for instance, to handle things
> when memory is lower than a threshold or something similar; or it may
> decide to use a percentage of memory for packet pools; or many other
> policies.  I don't see that feature in "mature" applications like VPP.
>
> Applications that want do that may still use platform information directly
> but I think it is too early work on an ODP API for that. An ODP memory API
> will also have to deal with NUMA...
>
> FF

I came to that question after Petri's api to print ODP shm info.

We have pool capabilities which how many pools with which size can be
created. DMA memory should connected to pool capabilities info.

But odp_shm_reserve() (which is also connected to pool resources) does
not have maximum value for reserve. On some platforms not all system RAM
can be used as shared memory. So to run apps there you will need to
specify somewhere amount of available RAM for ODP application.

If query of total/free memory for odp_shm_reserve() is platform specific
than single binary will not work on different platforms. Or will require
some start up script to specify this amount. If it will be script than
it will have bunch of 'if platform' conditions. If we place it inside
ODP then it will be easy to get this number.

Maxim.

In general we need allocated