We need one branch that holds all new API changes before those are released (>
4 months currently): either it's master or api-next. If we change API
development to master, then applications would need follow the latest release
branch instead of master. At least previous there was resistance to change
master into API development branch.

Separate topic branches for API changes won't scale ... we would not have a
common view (e.g. for 4 months) what the API is before all those are merged
together. Implementation changes are easier in topic branches as there's less
dependency to other files and applications (other files and apps already agree
what the API is).

Api-next does not cause the problem (big delta), it's caused by the lack of
steady release cycle. The big  delta won't go away before we have a short
enough release cycle (merge often => small delta).

-Petri