> Pascal Van Leeuwen wrote:
> > I get the impression that
> > the IPsec payload can just be random garbage, i.e. it doesn't have to
> > decrypt to anything that makes sense and it doesn't have to
> > authenticate properly (to facilitate fast generation of such packets by
> skipping actual cryptographic operations).
>
> The next header field is encrypted, so decryption must happen successfully
> before the dummy TFC packets can be recognized. Despite that, the RFC

You are correct, it's part of the encrypted IPsec padding.
I was caught off-guard by the RFC's remarks on rapid discarding and payload
besides the NH field not needing to be "well-formed".

> specifies that also authentication check is done before that. See RFC 4303,
> section 3.4: Inbound Packet Processing and section 3.4.4.1, step 4.

That makes sense if it's encrypted anyway ... guess I shouldn't have quickly
read section 2.6 in isolation :-)

In any case, our current solutions would indeed properly decrypt and
authenticate these dummy packets. Generation and discarding would need to be
done externally.

Pascal