On Mon, Oct 22, 2018 at 1:40 PM Liron Himi <lir...@marvell.com> wrote:

> Hi,
>

> It is for implementing ODP itself on our platform. So yes, we need
> internal APIs to get physical address.
>
> Do you have plans to add such internal APIs?

We do not have a "standardized" set of internal APIs because these would be
very platform specific and hence not readily portable to other platforms.
ODP has been focused on defining an external API set that address
application needs and can be in turn implemented efficiently across a range
of different platform architectures. This is the main reason why ODP makes
use of abstract data types so that each platform can define what these mean
in a manner that closely matches their own native data types and
organizational model without impacting application portability.

One of the key design strategies behind ODP is not to define an
implementation model to preserve maximum flexibility on the part of
implementations to achieve native-level performance in a portable manner.
This is what enables easy realization of different ODP APIs in HW, SW, or
any combination of HW and SW as the implementation chooses.

My suggestion would be that you define these abstract types in terms that
are native to your platform so that any "translation" needed can be done
under the covers with casts or similar minimal-cost constructs. That's the
model used in the reference implementation and has been successfully
adopted by other platforms.

If you'd like to discuss specifics we can do that during the weekly ODP
public call (15:00 UTC every Tuesday). Feel free to join us for tomorrow's
call or whenever else is convenient.