Hi all,

in the thread "Freezing trunk?" we encountered a new topic and I would
like to summarize the discussion in this new thread. This has been
said so far:

>>> (a) makes visual studio 6 projects, which cannot be used by Visual
>>> studio versions above 2008; so you have to convert them with a VS2008
>>> before being able to build with 2010, 2012 or later.
>>
>> Isn't that an argument to remove the creation of projects by cpptasks?
>> I have the feeling this would make the build script more maintainable
>> and we would be less dependent on cpptasks, which isn't supported
>> anymore anyways.
>
> +1

Additionally I would like to mention that we could create something
like a projects folder in the repo where the currently available
project files for different IDEs could be stored, pretty much those
files which are created for a release now or contributed by others.
This way we wouldn't lose those files and can provide a benefit for
those users and platforms, where our build tools are currently not
working. Users like me. ;-) I found it to be very helpful to have some
project files which I could use as examples for creating our owns.

We wouldn't even need to support those files, either they are used and
people provide patches or users like me would maintain what they use or
the files are only examples which needs to get updated anytime by
anyone. We can make this clear in the docs.

The benefit would be that we can reduce the dependance of cpptasks a
bit, make the build maybe more maintainable and e.g. I would stop
trying to get build.xml work around limitations of cpptasks for my IDE
and try to provide and use my project files. Less workarounds are
always better.

Mit freundlichen Grüßen,

Thorsten Schöning

--