I had noticed the potential for the problem and logged it as http://nagoya.apache.org/jira/browse/LOGCXX-11. Thanks for confirming that is actually a problem. My suspicion is that gmtime or gmtime_r is not adequate since log4cxx may need to format times to a time-zone other than the current time zone. However, it might be an optimization if the timezone for the layout and the current timezone are the same. I guess the first thing is to at least reset the value of TZ to the initial value after collecting time zone offsets.