We use Log4J and Log4CXX in certain products we've made.  Our usage is simple:

Logger.Hierarchy.Names        -> for normal logging
Alerts.Logger.Hierarchy.Names        -> for ALERTS meant for Network Operations Staff, Technicians etc. (usually important msgs)
Statistics.Logger.Hierarchy.Names        -> System operations stats

--- PS. I can't post to the Log4J list as I'm not a subscriber. ---

Renny Koshy
President & CEO

RUBIX Information Technologies, Inc.
www.rubixinfotech.com