On Jun 19, 2008, at 10:56 PM, srkraju wrote:

Still I am unable to solve this make error. Please suggest any modifications required in trivial.cpp Can use the libraries(like log4cxx,apr-1.2.2, aprutil-1.2.2) which are built in g++4.x in 3.x .

thanks& regards
srkraju

I had no problems on CentOS 4.5 (gcc 3.4.6) which is my closest approximation to your environment. I am using apr 1.2.12 and apr- util-1.2.12, but that should have no impact on a compile error.

Have you made any local modifications, particularly to log4cxx/helpers/ messagebuffer.h? That file had been a concern when you were attempting to build with gcc 2.96.

As far as I can tell, gcc 3.4.3 was in the original RHEL 4 but was upgraded to gcc 3.4.4 in "Update 2".

If you are still seeing the issue, time for some experimentation. The error is indicating that log4cxx::helpers::MessageBuffer is not defined, this class is referenced by an expansion of the LOG4CXX_DEBUG and similar macros.

Try the following experiments:

1. #if 0 out all the LOG4CXX_DEBUG and similar macros removing all the logging requests. Run make. Would expect no compile issues.

2. Add the following line to trivial.cpp at the same place as the #if 0'd logging requests

     ::log4cxx::helpers::MessageBuffer oss;

Attempt to build.  This should fail with the same type of warning.

3. Try removing the leading :: in the preceding line. If that compiles while the previous line fails, then remove the leading :: from the macro definitions in logger.h.

If anyone has similar reports or wants to report no problems with gcc 3.4.3 please speak up. From what I can tell, it is either a compiler specific issue or a local modification.