Guten Tag Robert Middleton,
am Donnerstag, 27. Oktober 2016 um 01:39 schrieben Sie:

> I haven't delved too deeply into the code(I don't have time today),
> but it looks like all that Object is doing is providing Java-like
> garbage collection in terms of memory management.

That was my understanding as well, but than Valgrind shouldn't find
leaks?

> A quick look at
> the SVN history indicates that the class was first created ~2003, so
> would it be worth it to discard Object entirely in favor of C++11
> std::shared_ptr?

And what with all those non C++11 people out there? I'm using
Embarcadero C++Builder for example which doesn't support C++11 very
well with its legacy compiler and the new CLANG based ones are still
incompatible with some projects/environments. So at least I'm not that
interested to merge patches which make my life more difficult...

How about boost::shared_ptr instead? It's no requirement currently,
but one might argue it's not that different than e.g. apr. In my
compiler at least boost 1.39 is provided, which would be enough for
shared_ptr, I'm using those already. 1.39 itself is so old, that it
might be a reasonable minimum requirement.

Mit freundlichen Grüßen,

Thorsten Schöning

--
Thorsten Schöning       E-Mail: thorsten.schoen...@am-soft.de