On 22/04/2007, at 5:00 PM, Curt Arnold wrote:

On Apr 21, 2007, at 10:40 PM, Paul Smith wrote:

While sitting in a day spa cafe while my wife got some much needed pampering, I sat down and reviewed all the open issues in bugzilla and put some thought towards each of them, and where they might sit.

What follows is my analysis of what might be worth considering tackling in a 1.2.15 release on top of what is already there (I actually need to review the diffs between .14 and current status too), or as a 1.2.16 release. Be good if we could review and agree/ change this list and then work towards a release.

These are bugs, not enhancements. I'll put a separate email together with some thought on some 1.2 work we might want to consider post 1.2.15 that should be achievable and add value to the community.

1.2.1[56] Potential bug fixes
==========================
Bug 30588 - log4j cannot parse stacktraces from JRockit
        simple fix

Looked at this one last night. The change seems innocuous but that is supposing there isn't yet another VM that works with the current implementation and fails with the suggested. At least before committing this, I think that we'd have to check the unit tests pass on JRockit with the fix. Better yet, check it on some set of implementations. Anybody want to throw out a list of VM's that should be checked (better all run on Intel on either Mac OS, Linux or Windows for me to help).

We could defend against that by only using a different algorithm when the underlying JVM version is JRockit, and use the standard algorithm for other VM's, or do you think that's getting hacky? A system property read on class init to detect jrockit-ness?

Bug 37736 - LoggerEventListener's appenderRemovedEvent() and levelChangedEvent() methods are never called this is, according to the bug report, both 1.2 and 1.3 related (see below). Worth investigating.

I'm thinking that it is 1.3 specific as LoggingEventListener doesn't exist in log4j 1.2.

Fair point, if that listener interface isn't in 1.2, we could just consider it for 1.3 changes.

Bug 17531 - PropertyConfigurator.configureAndWatch() don't reset the configuration
        some work done in trunk, is it worth reviewing for a port?

I'd be concerned that this is a change of behavior that would break someone who depended on the old interpretation. I think that log4j 1.3 added an explicit reset property so that you could explicitly request a reset before reconfiguring.

Yes, could go either way, we could defer this one for later 1.2.x, if at all.

On the whole though, happy with that set as a target for the next release? I'd like to finalise a maven pom.xml for the 1.2 branch as well. We shouldn't need to move the repo around, I think there's a pom setting element to define the source folders.

I'm also getting my gpg setup as well, so we can have a few more people capable of signing the releases. Only yourself and Mark have your stuff in the KEYS file. Once I get my head around it, do I simply append my signature to that file? I'm gathering I won't get my signature signed into the Web of Trust for a while, given I'm Down Under.