Paul Smith skrev  den 04-07-2008 00:46:
One of the last tasks to complete before a potential 'release' to the Webstart version of Chainsaw is building a custom Receiver artifact output that does not include the JMSReceiver & DBReceiver, both of which require dependent jars that we obviously can't ship (because we don't know what provider they'll need).

I plan to add a new output artifact in log4j-receivers that contains this, and have it with a classifier of 'chainsaw-receivers', and have it attached via buildhelper plugin so that it is pushed out as an artifact. A similar approach would be to produce an artifact just containing JMS+DB receivers. There would still be a 'non-classified' binary containing all Receivers as standard.

That way Chainsaw can mark a dependency on it's relevant classifier. This would mean that both the Webstart and standalone versions of Chainsaw would require an end-user who wished to use JMSReceiver or DBReceiver could download the 'extras' pack of Receivers, and drop it into the plugins folder together with their provider jars.

I think that there should be a core log4j which should cover those classes described in the printed manual, and that all the other stuff which has come up since then should go in one or more "extras" packages which may have a different release cycle than the core.

The reason is the simple that log4j-core for 1.2 is mature code which should get few updates, where the auxillary libraries appears still to be rough here and there, so I think it would be beneficial to have two seperate release tracks.

--
 Thorbjørn