Curt Arnold skrev  den 04-12-2008 20:34:

As far as I can tell, there is no significant practical advantage to our user community to do a direct implementation of SLF4J in log4j over the facade implementation provided by slf4j.org. I have never seen a significant performance difference between the two approaches and a direct implementation has several strong negatives to the log4j community and users that have been previously discussed.
Simply the fact that it is impossible for programs using log4j or java util logging to switch between java.util.logging (the Sun standard) and log4j (the de-facto standard) should be enough to say that a solution must be found. The Commons logging project did not work well, and a revised version which do has not shown up.

I believe that the positive in decoupling the logging implementation from the application will vastly overshadow any inconvinience in this regard. Most if not all of the work has been done in the slf4j project.

However, I could see a significant political advantage to SLF4J to have an implicit endorsement from the ASF and in my mind that is what this proposal is about. In my mind, java.util.logging has already won the API standardization war years ago, but it has been mostly limited the available appenders and configurators. One of the design goals (https://issues.apache.org/jira/browse/LOG4J2-5) for log4j 2.0 is to have the back-end classes independent of the API, so that the bulk of log4j 2 is isolated from the client's API choice.
I find your statement quite interesting.

If j.u.l won the standardization war, then how come that there has been no adapter from log4j to j.u.l from this project? That would be the perfect way to migrate to a standards based logging solution.

Are you *ABSOLUTELY* certain you want to bring in politics in this technical issue? In my opinion it will only mudden the waters!

--
 Thorbjørn Ravn Andersen  "...plus... Tubular Bells!"