Paul Smith skrev  den 09-12-2008 02:46:

private static String getFormattedMessage(String message, Object... args) {
        String formattedMessage = message;
        if (args != null && args.length > 0) {
            formattedMessage = String.format(message, args);
        }
        return formattedMessage;
    }
..

Then the code is changed to:

LogUtils.debug(LOG, "Hello %s, your age is %d", name, age);

Now, that bypasses slf4j completely, and maintains source & binary compatibly, and can easily be migrated to.
There was a request recently to make the argument replacement mechanism more powerful in either slf4j or logback (cannot remember) where Ceki mentioned that one of the major benefits of the {}-approach was that it was measurably faster than the StringFormatter in Java.

For this particular purpose I suggest that the fastest approach is chosen as it will apply to all events actually processed. Would lifting the slf4j code into log4j be an option - I believe that the license allows it.

--
 Thorbjørn Ravn Andersen  "...plus... Tubular Bells!"