There is one more thing that I would really like to see in log4j 2.0, namely the ability for a servlet to log to a servlet container using log4j (and in slf4j too but that is a different story). Currently that cannot be done, because there is no way for the code asking for the logger to pass a "this" reference to the logging framework.

I would suggest that in log4j 2.0 the LoggerManager.getLogger() signature is changed to accept the class (as now), and a varargs of Objects. The objects are passed to the appender when needing to do the actual logging, allowing a ServletLoggerAppender to look for any object extending GenericServlet and invoke its log method.

For client code it would mean that the logger object was retreived similar to:

   Logger log = Logger.getLogger(this.getClass(), this);

We might even consider making the rule in log4j 2.0 that "the name of the logger is the full name of the class of the first object"[2]. In that case we could make do with:

  Logger log = Logger.getLogger(this);

This would most likely also result in much other code being cleaner by allowing to drop the "getClass()" clause.

What do you think?

[1] http://java.sun.com/j2ee/1.4/docs/api/javax/servlet/GenericServlet.html#log%28java.lang.String%29

[2] For backwards compatability instances of Class should be treated slightly different :)

--
  Thorbjørn Ravn Andersen  "...plus... Tubular Bells!"