Maybe:

ZOMBIE_APOCALYPSE > APOCALYPSE > CATASTROPHE > EMERGENCY > FATAL > ...

On 23 Jan 2014, at 3:56, Gary Gregory wrote:

But that is not as high as APOCALYPSE right?

Gary

-------- Original message --------
From: Matt Sicker <boa...@gmail.com>
Date:01/22/2014  21:43  (GMT-05:00)
To: Log4J Developers List <log4j-dev@logging.apache.org>
Subject: Re: Web Issues, Logging Levels, and GA

I think we should use the CATASTROPHE logging level.

On 22 January 2014 17:38, Remko Popma <remko.po...@gmail.com> wrote:
Looks like we're in a tricky spot...

I count four people in favor of keeping the current levels who don't want to add levels (Paul, Christian, Matt and myself),
two people who really want to add levels (Gary and Nick)
and two people who are not pushing for new levels but don't mind the change (Scott and Ralph).

I don't think of adding new levels as a compromise, as it would only satisfy a few of us.

Can we try finding a way that would satisfy all parties?
Why don't we think a little more about finding some mechanism that allows users to add custom levels that are *as easy or nearly as easy to use as the pre-defined levels*?

That mechanism can be anything (markers, extensible enum, an interface, something else?), I am open to ideas. This is an engineering problem, let's use our engineering skills (instead of our debate skills :-).)

Let's think about this more, with open minds, before rushing into a solution that many have reservations about.

On Thu, Jan 23, 2014 at 6:07 AM, Paul Benedict <pbened...@apache.org> wrote: Yes, I know. It is a big change but it is also one that's necessary to support custom logging levels that are enums.