Yes, guidelines called out by Effective Java are appropriate when they apply.

As for concurrency, “New” isn’t always better than old.  In a few places you
changed synchronized(object) to use a Lock instead. There is little to no value
in doing that and makes the code look a little more cluttered.  However, if a
ReadWriteLock can be used in place of synchronized that is a real benefit.

The point of the guidelines are that when it comes to stuff like this, unless
there is a guideline written down that says the current code is wrong discuss
it on the list before making a change.

Ralph