I was a bit shocked after reading the article.
The requirements are very strict.

If you ask me what would be a better use of my time: fix outstanding jiras
or add new features or make javadoc conform to some standard, I think out
of those three, javadoc would benefit our users least...

(I don't object to writing new javadoc according to the stricter rules, it
just seems like a bit of a waste of time to fix the old docs.)

And if we can get the benefit of the nicer looking javadoc HTML without
paying the price of spending our valuable time to reformat etc, I'd say go
for it!