Rich,

One explanation I see is that there is a separate thread logging in between the
resetConfiguration() and configure() calls. Is that the case here? Ceki

At 08:43 01.02.2001 -0800, you wrote:

>Sorry about the previous RTF message. Here it is in plain text:
>
>Is the resetConfiguration/configure logic  (specifically PropertyConfigurator) a
>little buggy?
>
>I spun up an application with a PropertyConfigurator and it worked just fine.
>
>I then tried to reconfigure log4j at run-time in the following way:
>
>1) Issue a PropertyConfigurator.resetConfiguration() method call.
>2) Issue a PropertyConfigurator.configure method call with a new Properties class.
>
>I get the following output, (with the  -Dlog4j.configDebug=true flag set):
>
>log4j:ERROR No appenders could be found for category (root).
>log4j:ERROR Please initialize the log4j system properly.
>log4j: Parsing for [root] with value=[INFO, BPTraceLog].
>log4j: Priority token is [INFO].
>log4j: Category root set to INFO
>log4j: Parsing appender named "BPTraceLog".
>log4j: Option Threshold=[null].
>log4j: Option File=[bptrace.log].
>log4j: Option Append=[false].
>log4j: Option ImmediateFlush=[null].
>log4j: Parsed "BPTraceLog" options.
>log4j: Parsing layout options for "BPTraceLog".
>log4j: Option ConversionPattern=[%d [%t] %-5p %c %x - %m%n].
>log4j: End of parsing for "BPTraceLog".
>log4j: Finished configuring.
>
>...something seems funny because it is screaming about "no appenders for category
>(root)",
>and then proceeds to parse out exactly what it was looking for...
>
>Thanks in advance for any insights...
>
>Rich Trevor

----
Ceki Gülcü - Independent IT Consultant

av. de Rumine 5            Tel: ++41 21 351 23 15
CH-1005 Lausanne        e-mail: [EMAIL PROTECTED]  or
Switzerland                     [EMAIL PROTECTED]