Hello John,

I don't think you can get around the problem without writing/tweaking code. What you
need is to create a simple protocol:

client: connect to server
client: announce ID
server: ack ID, create new hierarchy for ID
client: send logging event
client: senf logging event
.
.
client: disconnect

I think this is the minimal protocol. Let me know when you are done. Ceki

At 12:19 09.02.2001 +0000, you wrote:
>Hi,
>
>remote client category : com.myco.client.ClientA
>server :                        should read the configuration file
>com.myco.client.ClientA.lcf
>
>I have started implementing a LogServer to which clients connect using
>SocketAppender.
>I would like the server to read a configuration file for the client when it
>connects and to store the
>log output in a different file for each client.  The server should read the
>appropriate configuration file
>for each client based on its category name and not its originating IP
>address.
>
>The category name is not retrieved until the first LogEvent arrives at which
>point the configuration file
>based on the IP address has been read and a Hierarchy attached to the
>SocketNode.
>
>If anyone has any suggestions to get around this problem it would be
>appreciated.
>
>John Sheehy

----
Ceki Gülcü           e-mail: [EMAIL PROTECTED] (preferred)
av. de Rumine 5              [EMAIL PROTECTED]
CH-1005 Lausanne
Switzerland            Tel: ++41 21 351 23 15