The short answer is no. Although it is possible to have variable substitution in
config files, what you want is a new file every day with the name suffixed by the
date. This will be possible in log4j 1.1. Ceki

At 10:33 12.02.2001 +0100, you wrote:
>Hi all!
>
>I'm new to the list and to log4j and I have this question. I want to log to
>a filename but instead that the name is static (for example output.log) I
>want it to be something more like output_20010212.log. So basically, I want
>the date (and time) to be in the filename. Furthermore, at the start of each
>new day, I want a a new logfile.
>
>Can this be done?
>
>Many thanks in advance
>
>BB
>Peter

----
Ceki Gülcü           e-mail: [EMAIL PROTECTED] (preferred)
av. de Rumine 5              [EMAIL PROTECTED]
CH-1005 Lausanne
Switzerland            Tel: ++41 21 351 23 15