My best determination is that it's a weblogic bug. I took weblogic's sample
JMS Topic subscriber (TopicReceive.java) and modified it with the few lines
of code required to make it log4j aware, and it works fine.

The difference? JMSSink uses synchronous message reception and the weblogic
sample code uses an event handler to get messages asynchronously. Same
problem occurs if I take log4j out of the picture (not that I ever thought
log4j was the culprit) and send String messages. I am fairly certain
weblogic is to blame. I have not tried applying SP-8 to weblogic but this
problem occurs at least up to SP-6.

Here is the major change to TopicReceiver - code I stole from JMSSink.java
and then poorly smashed into TopicReceiver to make things work. This is
neither efficient nor original code.

===CUT HERE===
      if (msg instanceof TextMessage) {
        msgText = ((TextMessage)msg).getText();
        System.out.println("JMS Message Received: "+ msgText );
      } else if (msg instanceof ObjectMessage) {
        LoggingEvent event;
        Category remoteCategory;

            event = (LoggingEvent) ((ObjectMessage)msg).getObject();
            remoteCategory = Category.getInstance(event.categoryName);
            remoteCategory.callAppenders(event);
            msgText=null;
      } else {
        msgText = msg.toString();
        System.out.println("JMS Message Received: "+ msgText );
      }
===CUT HERE===