Wow!  I just got done going through the source code.
I wouldn't have never thought of that.  I guess when
they said it would be slow, I just assumed reflection.
 It never even occured to me that there isn't really a
way to get that kind of information from reflection.

Does anyone know if Sun's JSR47 will allow a better
way of getting this information (maybe from the VM)?

I assume any solution created by Sun would quickly be
integrated into Log4J