Chris,

This from the log4j HISTORY file:

 - The FileAppender has been split into three parts: WriterAppender,
   ConsoleAppender and FileAppender. ConsoleAppender takes over the
   console logging functionality of FileAppender. As a result support
   for stream and console printing has been deprecated in FileAppender
   although it is still there for the moment.

Both ConsoleAppender and FileAppender extend WriterAppender. The ConsoleAppender can
print both to stdout and stderr although stderr is default. Technically both stdout
and stdout are console because AFAIK any real computer console will have both streams
available both on Windows and Unix. I chose stderr to be default because the JSR47
ConsoleHandler supports stderr only. I am starting to wonder if it isn't better to
have two appenders (handlers if you will) Console and Error, like you have in JLog.
It's a detail but that's where the devil is. Cheers, Ceki