Anders Kristensen wrote:

> "Johnson, Clay" wrote:
> >
> > L as in Localization.  It just looks like a Turkish I :)
>
> It was the 0 (zero) I was wondering about. Shouldn't it be '8'?

The significance of the number is: the number of characters between the first and
last letters of the word.  Someone came up with "i18n" as a shorthand for
"internationalization", because there are 18 characters between the i and the n.
The "l10n" is the analogous formation for "localization".  There are only 10
characters between the l and the n in that word.

Luke