Ceki Gülcü wrote:

> Jason,
>
> And I thought that the ANT build file was OK... Could you share your unpleasant
>experience so that we can avoid others the same pain? Cheers, Ceki
>
> ps: Cleaning up the build file is appreciated. However, it is still not clear what
>is wrong with it in the first place.

Hi Ceki,

First, of all there is no shell script provided to fire up ant. This is something
that I am accustomed to as we do it in Turbine and Velocity. It makes things
very convenient.

Second, the ${classpath} variable in the build file doesn't have a value unless
you explicity set a -Dclasspath=$CLASSPATH option when invoking java.
This isn't very clear. I'm used to going into a build directory and invoking the
script and everything builds. That classpath value should probably be
taken from the system classpath. Maybe that was the intention but with
the ant 1.3 jar I used this isn't what happened.

Third, the basedir is ".." which isn't very convenient if you are using
relative paths for your classpath. Again this is just something I do because
I usually place the JAR that I am using for a build in a lib directory inside
the build dir. So I was constructing a classpath from the JAR files in the
build/lib directory but because the basedir was ".." the classpath I constructed
didn't work.

So what I would like to do is:

1) provide a simple shell script
2) make the build relative to "."
3) either provide the JAR files necessary to build log4j
or
4) use an ant task to download the necessary jar files

I don't think you like 3) if I remember from the lists. This is just what I
am used to with Turbine and Velocity and it works very well. We've never
had any complaints about building. But 4) is fine with me.

All I would like to do is provide a dead simple way for people to check
out log4j from CVS and build it. I think everything should be provided, if
not the dependent jars then some way to pull them down.

--
jvz.

Jason van Zyl
[EMAIL PROTECTED]