Jim,

Requiring ANT to be installed is a reasonable. That's the way we had it for until now.
However, having a batch script where you just type "build" is nicer. A bit more
complicated to write, yes, but much easier for the log4j newbie. It's  important to
give positive feedback to the user as soon as possible. It's the first impression
thing.

Cheers, Ceki

At 17:30 14.03.2001 -0500, Jim Moore wrote:
>I'm very much in favor of simply making it a requirement that if you want to
>compile log4j (as oppsed to simply using it) then you have to have ant
>installed.  It's no different than the requirement that a Java compiler is
>installed or that cvs is installed to get things from the CVS repository,
>and it GREATLY simplifies many things (totally removes the need to provide
>your own shell or batch scripts, doesn't require redownloading something
>that the person probably already has installed, etc.).  Then, again, you can
>have support libraries (those that can be redistributed) "gettable" from an
>ant task.  Makes things much simpler and faster for both the user and the
>maintainer.
>
>-Jim Moore

I hope to see you at my ApacheCon 2001 presentation
entitled "Log4j, A Logging Package for Java".

See http://ApacheCon.Com/2001/US/ for more details.

----
Ceki Gülcü          Web:   http://qos.ch
av. de Rumine 5     email: [EMAIL PROTECTED] (preferred)
CH-1005 Lausanne           [EMAIL PROTECTED]
Switzerland         Tel: ++41 21 351 23 15