Thanks for your help.  I just learned another way to get that type of indentation with
the java style (I like that one best because it keeps implements and throws lined up!
:-)  Here is what I put in my jde-mode-hook.

   ;;; special indentation rules
   (setq c-offsets-alist
  (append '(
     (inexpr-class . 0) ; no additional indents for
     ; inner classes
     (topmost-intro-cont . 0) ; do not indent topmost intro continuation
     ) c-offsets-alist))

Thanks again for your help.

Phil

Ceki Gülcü wrote:

> Philip,
>
> Here is the relevant section of my .emacs file:
>
> ;; I like the gnu style best!
> (c-set-style "gnu")
>
> (defun cgu-java-hook ()
>   (c-set-style "gnu")
>   (c-toggle-hungry-state t)
>   )
>
> ;; Tell jde too
> (add-hook 'jde-mode-hook
>         'cgu-java-hook)
>
> ;; Tell java too
> (add-hook 'java-mode-hook
>           'cgu-java-hook)
>
> This basically tells emacs to use the GNU indentation style. Hope this helps. Ceki
>
> At 17:36 21.03.2001 -0500, Philip Miller wrote:
> >Does anyone have the emacs settings for the log4j indentation style.  In
> >particular, I would like to be able to have emacs do the right thing
> >with
> >
> >static
> >public
> >void methodName() {
> >}
> >
> >My current settings will indent the lines after "static".
> >
> >Thanks,
> >Phil

> I hope to see you at my ApacheCon 2001 presentation
> entitled "Log4j, A Logging Package for Java".
>
> See http://ApacheCon.Com/2001/US/ for more details.
>
> ----
> Ceki Gülcü          Web:   http://qos.ch
> av. de Rumine 5     email: [EMAIL PROTECTED] (preferred)
> CH-1005 Lausanne           [EMAIL PROTECTED]
> Switzerland         Tel: ++41 21 351 23 15

begin:vcard
n:Miller;Philip
tel;fax:(609) 734-2662
tel;work:(609) 734-2779
x-mozilla-html:FALSE
org:Sarnoff Corporation;Advanced Video Processing
adr:;;201 Washington Road;Princeton;NJ;08543;USA
version:2.1
email;internet:[EMAIL PROTECTED]
title:MTS
end:vcard