Have you tied observing the messages sent out at configuration time?
Try

log4j.configDebug=true

in the log4j.properties file. What do you observe? Ceki

At 11:22 27.03.2001 +0200, you wrote:

>Hello,
>
>I run into troubles with Log4j, until yesterday all worked fine but now I
>cannot get the configuration stuff to work again...
>

>Here's my log4j.properties file:
>
>log4j.category.de.autogui=DEBUG, A1
>log4j.appender.A1=org.apache.log4j.FileAppender
>log4j.appender.A1.File=/var/local/autogui/global.log
>log4j.appender.A1.Append=false
>log4j.appender.A1.layout=org.apache.log4j.PatternLayout
>log4j.appender.A1.layout.ConversionPattern=[%c{1}] %-5p - %m%n
>

>This is the java code snippet which loads the .properties file:
>
>                String filename = "/WEB-INF/etc/log4j.properties";
>                // filename =
>getServletContext().getResource(filename).toString().substring(5);
>
>                // filename = /var/tomcat/webapps/autogui/WEB-INF/etc/log4j.properties
>                // System.err.println(filename);
>
>                Properties props = new Properties();
>                // InputStream in = new FileInputStream(filename);
>                InputStream in = getServletContext().getResourceAsStream(filename);
>
>                if (in != null) {
>                        System.err.println("DEBUG: loading properties");
>                        props.load(in);
>                        new PropertyConfigurator().doConfigure(props,
>Category.getDefaultHierarchy());
>                        in.close();
>                } else {
>                        System.err.println("ERROR:" + filename);
>                }
>
>I always get a log4j:ERROR No appenders could be found for category
>(de.autogui.servlets.BaseServlet and a log4j:ERROR Please initialize the
>log4j system properly message. Also I've already installed the latest
>version from CVS - didn't help much...
>
>I just wonder cause the messages for the BaseServlet are logged in the
>global.log file, but log4j says there are no Appenders configured???
>
>Please help, I don't have any idea any more... :->
>
>cu talex
>

>--
>      ____________
>     /___________/             alexander troppmann
>                      software design & technology
>      g l o b a l
>      ____________               global linxs gmbh
>     /___________/                 hedwigstrasse 9
>                                      80636 munich
>       l i n x s
>      ____________       fon ++49(0)89 18.97.97.87
>     /___________/       fax ++49(0)89 18.97.97.96
>
>   gesellschaft fuer
>   internetservices mbh
>   http://www.global-linxs.com

I hope to see you at my ApacheCon 2001 presentation
entitled "Log4j, A Logging Package for Java".

See http://ApacheCon.Com/2001/US/ for more details.

--
Ceki Gülcü          Web: http://qos.ch
                email: [EMAIL PROTECTED] (preferred)