If you're using Servlets, you can put the Hierarchy into the Session... that
way when it times out it'll get cleaned and pulled out of memory.

-Chris

----- Original Message -----
From: "Ceki Gülcü" <[EMAIL PROTECTED]>
Sent: Monday, March 26, 2001 3:14 PM
Subject: Re: Logging user sessions to different files???

Asaf,

The most robust and general solution I can think of consists of creating a
new hierarchy at the beginning of a new user session, configuring that
hierarchy with categories, appenders and so on, and at the end of the
session remove the hierarchy.

You would need to be able to communicate to the code which hierarchy is in
use. The categories also need to be retrieved dynamically from the
appropriate hierarchy.

Does that make sense? Ceki

At 14:35 26.03.2001 -0500, Asaf Ronen wrote:
>How can I log every user session to a different file under the same Java
virtual machine (one server process that is always running)?  Creating a new
category object for every user session will eventually use up all the
memory.

>Basically is there a way to come up with a file name at runtime, log to
this file, and close it.  And then keep doing this over and over????????

>Thanks,

I hope to see you at my ApacheCon 2001 presentation
entitled "Log4j, A Logging Package for Java".

See http://ApacheCon.Com/2001/US/ for more details.

--
Ceki Gülcü          Web: http://qos.ch
                email: [EMAIL PROTECTED] (preferred)