Thanks for your reply to my question -- I've resolved the problem.  It was a
configuration error on my part.

There was a copy of log4j.jar in my JDK's jre/lib/ext directory.  This
causes the JDK to load this jar file at startup using it's class loader.
Later on when log4j tried to load my custom PatternLayout it fails because
the application classes were loaded using weblogic's class loader.

Sorry to bother everyone.  Log4j rules!
John Lindwall                              mailto:[EMAIL PROTECTED]
XIFIN                                      http://www.xifin.com
2233 Faraday Ave Ste A, Carlsbad CA 92008  (760) 804-0770 ext 16

This message is for the sole use of the intended recipient(s) and may
recipient, please contact the sender and destroy all copies of the original
message.