Scott,

This depends on needs. Nevertheless this I expected from no minus in the format string
- right?

Regards
Frank-Olaf Lohmann

>>> "SCOTT FARQUHAR" <[EMAIL PROTECTED]> 03.04.2001  22.37 Uhr >>>
"truncated from the beginning"
ie
"beginning is truncated"

so if you start truncating from the beginning, you will end up with only the last
characters left, which IMHO is usually the most useful part.

>>> [EMAIL PROTECTED] 04/04/01 03:16am >>>
Hello all,

the following format string '%-20.30c' don't work as I understand that it should. If
the string is longer than 30 characters the last 30 chars are selected but I expect
the first 30.
Am I wrong? The javadoc says '... then truncated from the beginning.' this let some
space to misunderstand what is intended.

Kind regards
Frank-Olaf Lohmann