Hi there,
I've just started using log4j (and am still a newbie to java itself).I am using a
wrapper class around log4j, and part of what my wrapper does is to buffer log items,
only sending them to log4j when certain events occur. Clearly by doing this, I lose
log4j's ability to automatically retrieve methods, line numbers etc. from the caller.

It seems like what I have to do is to retrieve this information before I add an
individual log to the buffer, then send it as part of the message string to log4j.
Obviously I would lose some flexibility in the PatternLayout function, but this is not
crucial.

I understand that log4j somehow gets this information from a stack trace, but I am
unsure of exactly how this works, or how I would go about getting the information for
myself.

Thanks in advance for any help,

Ross Ovland