Thanks for setting me straight folks.  I was testing a version of the
AppServerCategoryFactory that was using the getResource method of
Category Class object with out the leading "/" in front of it.  As
explained by someone in a previous post, this causes the classload to
look for org/apache/log4j/my.properties rather than my.properties in
whatever directory is in the webapp classpath; hence my confusion.

I'm glad to see this works; and hence the initialization servlet
non-sense I spoke of earlier is not necessary. :)

The leading "/" phenomenon is interesting.  For the AppServerCategory
static initializer, I will be checking for both "my.properties" and
"/my.properties".  This will find it either place.  I hope there aren't
any negative consequences to this.  I suppose you could find property
files you don't mean to.

- Paul

--
Beware of bugs in the above code.  I have
only proved it correct, not tried it.