So at the moment we have a bunch of "official" conversion characters in
PatternLayout. Anything not in PatternLayout is really app specific and
individual custom appenders can assign whatever meaning they like to
those characters.

IMHO, if we extend PatternLayout to support a bigger space of variables
it should be to support vairable names of any length. There is really no
reason why they have to be restricted to one or two characters. A syntax
like %{foo} would work. With format modifiers and arguments this would
be something like %-20{date}{ISO8601}. This wouldn't mean anything in
the old syntax so this is backward compatible.

Anders