Hello Log4j,

I'm adding my own conversion specifier %v{option} using subclassed
PatternLayout, PatternParser and PatternConverter.  I have a small
problem with the {option} part. There doesn't seem to be a method for me
to extract it. In the finalizeConverter method of my PatternParser subclass,
I would like to be able to call

   addConverter(new MyPatternConverter(formattingInfo, extractOption()));

The problem is that extractOption() is a private method of PatternParser.
 I can't access it from my subclass.

The org.apache.log4j.helpers.PatternParser has private methods,
extractOption()and extractPrecisionOption(), which, I believe, should be
protected so that a subclass, also, can access the option for conversion
specifiers.  Interestingly enough, these methods access protected
data members.  As a result I can copy the entire method in my subclass
and everything works fine. But I'm sure that is not an approved way
to modify the format buffer.

Maybe I've missed something in the architecture. If so, please let me know.

Regards,
Ernest Parker