I am having a problem that the documentation discusses but
doesn't seem to give a clear enough solution.

I have my extended both Category and priority using the examples
provided.  I am getting the ClassCastException problem
(as alluded to in docs\api\org\apache\log4j\examples\doc-files\mycat.good ).

The mycat.good file shows the following:

      # Setting the category factory to MyCategoryFactory solves the
      # ClassCastException problem encountered with the "mycat.bad"
      # configuration file.

       log4j.categoryFactory=org.apache.log4j.examples.MyCategoryFactory

My question is: How do I set this in an XML config file ?

The DTD seems to say nothing about Factories.

Yes, I have read (over and over) the "Adding Conversion
Characters to Pattern Layout" documentation.  The "Configurators"
section alludes to this problem, but it doesn't give me a concrete example
of what to do to avoid the problem.