I am seeing what I think is log4j failing to handle a large number of log
messages and wanted to check if anyone else has seen a similar problem
before I spend time tracking it down (and I couldn't find anything similar
mentioned in the archives).

The scenario is Windows NT4+SP6, JDK 1.3.1, Enhydra App Server running
Barracuda (a presentation framework that uses log4j for it's logging). If I
enable DEBUG (or INFO) logging at the root category level with a console or
file appender the app server shuts down after a short period of time with
no error messages reported. Using WARN as the rootCategory level everything
works as expected. Note that we have been using log4j on the Barracuda
project successfully for some time, but this is the first time that I have
tried to turn on debug level logging for everything (this is in response to
another Barracuda user reporting the same problem). Barracuda generates a
huge amount of logging at debug or info levels, but log4j should be able to
handle it, shouldn't it ? Note that I tried starting the app server with
-Xms65m -Xmx256m and it made no difference.
Anyone else seen a similar problem ?

TIA

Robert