Veronica,
    Under the current implementation the file is only copied to the new
name (dogtest.log -> dogtest.log.2001-07-10) if the application is
running at the time when the change should occur ie midnight.  So if you
stop the application before midnight and start it again the next day then
it will continue to log to the same file.

    Is that the problem?

Kevin